Annual Meeting 2017: Galveston, Texas
Annual Meeting 2017
Please join us at the ARLIS/NA Texas-Mexico Chapter fall meeting to be held in Galveston, Texas, November 10 – 12, 2017! Explore Galveston’s historical and art related locations along with their associated collections / archives and catch up with your fellow TXMX colleagues. Venues visited will include the Moody Mansion, Rosenberg Library, Bryan Museum, Galveston Arts Center, and Galveston Artist Residency. Registration will be open through October 27th, 2017.
This year our chapter business meeting will be followed by a Research Roundtable series of presentations on work currently being done by Texas-Mexico members. All topics relevant to art librarianship are welcome. Presentations should be 10-15 minutes in length. To submin a presentation proposal, please send a short description with the title, your name, and institutional affiliation to Lauren Gottlieb-Miller at email@example.com. The deadline to submit will be October 6th, 2017.
Chapter members have graciously offered to pay for the registration of an attendee who lacks institutional funding. If you are unable to attend the chapter meeting due to a lack of funding, please send a statement showing need to the Chapter President (Joel Pelanne, firstname.lastname@example.org) by October 13th, 2017.
Marriott TownePlace Suites
9540 Seawall Boulevard Galveston Texas 77554 USA
Please use this link to book rooms at the discounted group rate by 10/27/2017
- 15 Rooms available at $160.00 per night (King bed, sleeper sofa)
- 5 Rooms available at $209.00 per night (2 Queen beds)
Friday, November 10th
- 1:00 – 4:30 PM : Tour of the Moody Mansion, including a lecture on the family records and artifact collections with a Q&A.
- 5:00 PM : Optional social / happy hour at BLVD Seafood.
- Dinner on own, please see recommendations at the bottom of this page.
Saturday, November 11th
- 10:00 – 11:30 AM : Tour of the Rosenberg Library, including special collections and current exhibitions.
- Break for lunch, please see recommendations at the bottom of this page.
- 1:00 – 2:30 PM : Tour of The Bryan Museum.
- 3:00 – 3:45 PM : Tour of current exhibitions at the Galveston Arts Center.
- 4:00 – 5:00 PM : Tour of the facilities and studios at the Galveston Artist Residency.
- 6:30 PM : Chapter dinner reservation at Gaido’s.
Sunday, November 12th
- 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM (have room until 1:00 PM) : Chapter business meeting and Research Roundtable presentations (breakfast provided).
Dining and free-time in Galveston
- Mosquito Café : casual dining / lunch.
- Sunflower Bakery & Café : casual dining / brunch / lunch.
- Eat Cetera : casual dining / lunch, vegetarian options.
- Cajun Greek : comfort food, seafood.
- Shrimp n’ Stuff : comfort food, seafood.
- Salsa’s : classic Tex-Mex, seafood.
- Olympia the Grill at Pier 21 : dinner, Greek / seafood.
- Trattoria La Vigna : dinner, Italian / seafood.
- The Strand : historic downtown district, shops.
- Moody Gardens : science / nature attraction, featuring rainforest habitat and aquariums.
- Galveston Island State Park : trails, beach and bay habitats, bird watching.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Joel Pelanne (Chapter President)
713 353 1511