2018 Annual Chapter Meeting
October 26-28, 2018
This year’s ARLIS/NA Texas-Mexico Chapter Fall Meeting will be held in Austin, TX, Friday, October 26, 2018 through Sunday, October 28, 2018.
Call for Papers
We would like to extend a Call for Papers for our Research Roundtable. We welcome papers on any projects you are working on regarding any and all aspects of art librarianship, visual resources management, digital humanities, or scholarly projects you are working on regarding art, architecture or visual culture. We request that papers be twenty minutes or less. Please indicate any audio/visual needs you might have. Please send paper proposals to Eric Wolf at e.wolf.sia.edu by October 10, 2018.
Registration is open now through October 12th!
- Registration + Membership (US): $65.00
- Registration + Membership (Mexico, Student, Retiree): $35.00
- Registration Only: $45.00
The Chapter welcomes donations to the Lois Swan Jones Professional Development Award. Contributions may be made at point of registration or as a separate transaction.
We will not have an official hotel for this meeting, so attendees should find accommodations on their own. Below is the list that the Blanton Museum used for the Ellsworth Kelly opening events, all within a reasonable distance from all of the venues we will be visiting. We recommend booking as early as possible as several large events will take place in Austin the same weekend.
- Hotel Ella
1900 Rio Grande | 800.311.1619 | 0.7 miles from the Blanton
- Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at the University/Capitol
1701 Lavaca Street | 512.499.8881 | 0.3 miles from the Blanton
- Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel Austin
303 West 15th Street | 512.478.7000 | 0.5 miles from the Blanton
- AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center
1900 University Avenue | 877.744.8822 | 0.3 miles from the Blanton
- Hotel Eleven
East 11 Street | 512.675.0011 | 1.4 miles from the Blanton
- Heywood Hotel Austin
1609 East Cesar Chavez | 512.271.5522 | 2 miles from the Blanton
- Hotel Van Zandt
605 Davis Street | 877.202.2191 | 2 miles from the Blanton
- Hotel Saint Cecelia
112 Academy Drive | 512.852.2400 | 2.6 miles from the Blanton
- Hotel San Jose
1316 South Congress Avenue | 512.852.2350 | 2.6 miles from the Blanton
- W Hotel Austin
200 Lavaca Street | 512.542.3600 | 1.6 miles from the Blanton
- The Driskell
604 Brazos Street | 512.391.7039 | 1.2 miles from the Blanton
Preliminary Schedule (Subject to Change)
Friday, October 26
- 2:00-2:30 : Tour of “The Foundry”, Makerspace in the University of Texas at Austin’s Fine Arts Library, led by Boris Brodsky, Arts and Creative Technologies Librarian
- 2:30-3:15 : Tour of Fine Arts Library, led by Becca Pad, Arts Librarian
- 6:15 : Private viewing of James Turrell’s The Color Inside please be sure to arrive on time; we need to be seated inside at 6:22.*
Saturday, October 27
- 11:00-12:00 : Tour and presentation of materials of The Harry Ransom Center, led by PhD candidate Gaila Sims
- 1:30-2:30 : Research Roundtable, at Perry-Castañeda Library (UT main library, PCL Learning Lab 3)
- Craig Bunch: presenting on book to be published by Texas A&M University Press, Dreams Visions, Other Worlds: Interviews with Texas Artists, as well as an exhibition guest curated at the Art Museum of Southeast Texas in Beaumont, The Art of Found Objects: Enigma Variations.
- Carla Ellard: presenting on the process and challenges of moving framed photographs into offsite storage at Texas State University.
- 3:00-4:45 : Tour and gallery talk at The Blanton Museum of Art with Professor Louis A. Waldman (Department of Art and Art History, University of Texas at Austin), Ellsworth Kelly’s Austin, and museum on your own
- 7:00 : Chapter Dinner at Fareground, see Eater Austin’s guide to Fareground
Sunday, October 28
- 11:15-12:15 : Annual Chapter Business Meeting at Perry-Castañeda Library (UT main library, PCL Learning Lab 3)
*ARRIVAL TIME: Please arrive by your reservation time and note that seats are not assigned. If you arrive after your reservation time, then your reservation may be released.
CLIMATE: The Skyspace is not climate controlled. Please check the weather forecast in preparation for your visit. You may bring water or blankets if needed.
DIRECTIONS: Use the map to locate the Student Activity Center. Once inside the SAC, take the western elevator (southwest entrance near Speedway and Gregory Gym) to the third floor. Exit the elevator to the left and follow the corridor to the entrance of the rooftop. Please note that the other two elevators in the building do not provide access to the rooftop.
- Austin Film Festival (October 25-November 1)
- Texas Book Festival (October 27-28)
- Austin Archives Bazaar (October 28)
Points of interest
- The Contemporary Austin
- Central Library (Austin Public Library)
- Bullock Texas State History Museum
- Glasstire’s Austin Event and Gallery Listings